Friday, April 26, 2013

Guest Blogger: Jen from Purse and Clutch



I remember in college taking an art history class. While I'm sure everyone had a similar course requirement, being in the science department meant that they put their own spin on this course. Meaning, of course, that we looked at the history of art through the lens of what was happening simultaneously in the worlds of math. And I loved it! It is so inspiring to me to examine a trend through the eyes of a seemingly separate industry. New patterns and idea emerge that would never normally surface. 

This is true for me within the world of interior design and fashion. Clearly there are color trends and styles, but looking at one through the lens of the other can bring new life to ordinary objects. 

As the owner of Purse & Clutch, a handmade and fair wage handbag business working to help create sustainable jobs for artisans in developing countries with limited opportunities, I have the oh-so-tough job of researching current fashion trends (note sarcastic tone!). One trend that I've really been enjoying watching evolve with the seasons is color blocking. My love of saturated bold color combinations had definitely crept into my living room, especially on my bookshelves.

I collect books. While this can be a messy, disheveled look when done haphazardly, grouping books by  similar colors and adding similarly colored accessories can really streamline a room. Check out some of my favorite parts of my apartment: 

Spring Interior Design Trends

Color Blocking Design Trends

Designing with Vogue Magazines

Yellow Book Collection

So where to start? See what you already have - I only intentionally collect yellow books! The black and blue collections were just by chance. Etsy has some really great stores that will actually sell vintage or vintage-looking books by color. Thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales can add to your collection without costing you more than 25 cents if you're picky. Don't forget to look at the colors behind the dust jackets and if you're hoping for this to be a financial investment into possibly collectable books, start a drawer where you keep the dust jackets safe and sound until you're ready to resale. 

I would love to see your take on color blocking in your home, or in your wardrobe! You can connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, or Email



1 comment: