Monday, February 18, 2013

Challenge Accepted: Art in the Kitchen

Last week Brandy challenged all of us to get creative in the kitchen and add some life through art. I spent some time brainstorming on how I could add some more personality to my own kitchen and here's what I came up with. It's far from being finished but I am pretty happy with how it's all coming together.
Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling

First, I started with the easiest thing, adding art in to your open shelf displays. Before, I only had dishes and collectibles here but once I added this little painting, everything came together!


Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling

Next step were the walls on my main kitchen wall. This is a little more difficult because I really don't have a lot of wall space to work with. 

Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling

Here are my ideas so far. I could hang some really pretty vintage plates (which I don't have yet) to add some color to that wall. Or, I do have some really cool vintage wooden tennis racquets that I could hang here. I think the rustic factor would be awesome but I really would like some color, soooo I am still thinking on this one.

Next up, the breakfast nook:

Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling
Again, this was difficult because of all the windows. However, there is a lot of trim work between the windows so....

Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling
I just decided to hang something right over the windows! The scale is a little too small though so I will be on the hunt for the perfect piece. I also added this large painting to my trunk in the corner. I really like the color it adds. 

Fiddle leaf fig tree, Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling
And my Fiddle Leaf Fig tree likes it too ;)

Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling
For a little more color on the fireplace, I added this old street sweeper brush that Brandy and I found at Canton. Elle seems to like it.


Art in the kitchen, twine interiors, open shelves, vintage dishes, shelf styling, kitchen styling
And finally, the only actual wall space I have in the kitchen is this little space. I found this vintage needlepoint at an estate sale. It's perfect because my husband comes from a little fruit tree farming town in California!

Well, there you have it. This is all I could come up with in a short time but I will be on the look out for some more art to add to the kitchen. What do you have hanging in your kitchen? Send us pics, we would love to see it, and maybe even post some! jessica@twineinteriors.com

~Jessica

2 comments: